Sunday, July 14, 2013

Oh, the places you'll go!


There were many reasons that the hubs and I decided to start our family while we were still very young...
a few of them being:

1. We got married young, so we felt we had had an adequate amount of time together just the two of us.

2. I liked the idea of being a "young mom".

3. The sooner you start the sooner they're gone. ;)
An "empty nest" in my forties was much more appealing than an 
"empty nest" in my fifties. 
*I put empty nest in quotes knowing that at least one of my children will stick around for a while, or come back to live with us at some point. PLUS, it's not like we ever stop parenting right? 
We just get to have a little more freedom once they're older :)

4. My kids will get to enjoy their grandparents for much longer. Also, if for some reason we need a grandparent to live with us or they need more personal care as they get older, we will have the space and time to do that for them since our children will be older as well. 

But, one of the biggest reasons I wanted to have my family sooner rather than later was for travel.

You see, when it comes to traveling I'm kind of a...snob.

My parents have been very blessed and I was raised taking awesome vacations and staying in amazing hotels and basically spoiled 
(in a good way!) 
when it comes to traveling. 

Now don't get me wrong, my parents didn't raise me to be a bratty girl who only likes the finer things in life. I buy second hand stuff for my kids, I love thrift shopping for my own clothes, and amazon is my best friend. But the one thing I've had a hard time letting go of, is the fancy travel perks.

So needless to say, traveling across Europe with practically no money and staying in hostels or cheap motels just didn't appeal to me in my twenties. But, traveling the world and staying in nice hotels with my husband who I love very much, in my forties? 
Now that sounds nice!

Trip to Italy? Ok let's buy a few cases of the best wine.
Ireland? Let's hit every single pub and drink the best beer.
Iceland? Greece? Austrailia? 
You name it, we can do it. 
And we'll preferably do it comfortably! :)

Now you may be judging me at this point, but to be honest...
I don't care. To each their own right?

Even though these amazing trips aren't going to happen for years I still dream about it.

I have a pinterest board named "oh, the places you'll go" with all sorts of breathtaking images pinned. 
Here is just a sampling of the beautiful places I'd love to visit:

Ireland
Bridges Park

 
Cliffs of Moher

Downtown Dublin

The Oldest Pub in Dublin

Greece
Santorini, Greece

Papafragas, Milos, Greece
Blue Beaches, Zakynthos Island

You can also check out the 100 most beautiful images of Greece here

Italy

Hillside Positano, Italy

China
I have actually been to China before, but didn't get to see too much.
Plus, I would love to go back with the hubs to re-experience it.
The Bridge of Immortals

Heaven's Stairs


I would also love to go to New Zealand, Austrailia, Bora Bora, Austria, Iceland, Fiji...
the list goes on and on!

Hopefully, we'll be able to go on some trips with our kids when they are older as well.
I'm sure they'd love to travel with us too, 
but I try not to get my hopes up too high...
accommodations for six is a bit more costly than two :)

Where have you traveled that you loved?
What's your dream trip?
I love looking at the travel section on pinterest...
it's just all so beautiful!

We'll get there one day...

xoxo,
Heather 


No comments:

Post a Comment