Tuesday, January 18, 2011

tasty tuesdays's

Hello, All! I am bringing a new recipe to you today that was even new to me until yesterday! Fun! Graham and I have recently read and started the 4 Hour Body, Slow-Carb diet and I wanted to share this recipe and a little bit of info from the book with you...So the great thing about this "diet"(I hate calling it that...I think it's more a new food regimen) is that you don't cut calories or food groups. You cut out some foods, but replace them with healthier ones instead in the same category (mostly being white, processed carbs for spinach and the like). Here are the five rules of the Slow Carb Diet:
1. Avoid white carbohydrates. (pasta, breading, milk, etc. with the exception of kidney beans and cauliflower.)
2. Eat the same few meals over and over again. (We do this anyway if you really think about it.)
3. Don't drink calories. (You are still allowed coffee, wine, and some "diet" sodas in moderation.)
4. Don't eat fruit. (Our ancestors didn't eat fruit year round, every day...why should we?)
5. Take one day off per week. (He calls this "Dieter's Gone Wild", the day you can literally eat anything and everything you want, no holding back, no feeling guilty. My favorite part. :) )

So I decided to make somewhat of a chili/stew/veggie-free-for-all and it turned out pretty darn tasty! I was worried to make any of the chili recipes I was already familiar with because I usually put sour cream and cheese in it and didn't want to feel like I was having the same thing, but without the delicious part....so I literally threw all these ingredients in a pot and ate it later with nothing added to it. So good! I encourage you all to check out his website and blog (www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog) and read up on this for yourselves, so far it's been hard, but I feel so much better (no more food comas) and don't really feel deprived because I know I can have whatever I want come Saturday. :) Totally worth it! Enjoy!

Healthy "Chili" 
 This makes 6 hearty helpings.
   What you need:
         1lb ground beef (we used yummy grass-fed beef from Trader Joe's)
         1 can diced tomatoes (or freshly diced tomatoes)
         1 small can tomato paste
         1 can whole kernel corn
         1/2 a green pepper chopped
         1/2 onion chopped
         2 cloves garlic
         garlic salt (lots of this stuff made it delicious!)
         onion powder
         kosher salt
         pepper

   What you do:
     Throw it in the crock pot and cook for 4-6 hours. I did about 3 hours on high and the last hour on low. It tasted great for lunch, too! :)

1 comment:

  1. I have always had a cheat day when dieting - it makes it so much easier to stay strong the other 6 days of the week! Good luck on this, and I'm glad you're feeling healthier :)

    ReplyDelete