Tuesday, July 19, 2011

new tattoo...

so i got a new tattoo...
i'm sure most of you saw a sneak peak of it in my last 
{hot mama} pics, but i wanted to share a little more of the background story with you.

so a little over a year ago my nana passed away.
now she wasn't just your plain old, jane old nana.
she. was. awesome.

i've never met a person with so much joy in all my life.
even while dying of stage four ovarian cancer, 
she would joke, laugh, smile and sing. 
sure she had some rough moments, too.
it's a hard disease. 
but even still,
 to the end, 
she was truly a magnificent person.
an absolute joy to be around. 

so on the one year anniversary of her passing,
 my sister and i decided to honor her memory with a tattoo.

we talked about all sorts of designs, but ultimately decided on a butterfly, 
with the body being the ovarian cancer awareness ribbon.
 
we decided on the butterfly because of it's beauty, 
which seems so reflective of my nana and her soul.
and also, her name fayne actually means joy... 
and in many  cultures a butterfly symbolizes joy.

so we sent our ideas to gary over at memorial tattoo 
(you should go to him if you live in atlanta!) 
and he drew up this awesome tattoo for us.

working on the outline

waiting patiently, can't wait to see it!

all done! a little red, but beautiful!

now it's my sister's turn! it's her first tattoo. love me a newbie. :)

she did so awesome! she didn't cry or anything.

all done!

the whole time i was there i couldn't stop wondering what my nana was up in heaven thinking...
my sister and i decided it was one of two things:
1. she thinks it's beautiful and is so touched by wanting to remember her for forever, or;
2. she's thinking, "you dumb asses."

either of which would be totally my nana. :)

either way, i love it, and i can't wait to tell my children about how special of a person she was to me when they ask what it means. 

happy tuesday y'all!











6 comments:

  1. Hey Heather! I'm just catching up on your blog :) You look great! Thanks for the shoutout on your trip to St. Louie :) It was so great to have you there for it and to finally meet my adorable second cousins, they are so freaking cute!
    Slade and I are working on getting our blog up and running so I'll send you an invite when we do.
    Tell the Atlanta crew hi for us!
    Love,
    Corie

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi corrie (with two R's)!
    got that blog up and running yet?! also, did y'all get any pics from the wedding you could share? i would love to see them! you looked SO beautiful! oh and i've been meaning to tell you that quinn pronounces cora's name corrie and it makes me think of you and your family everyday! hope y'all are doing well and settling into married life well. :-)

    lots of love, heather and fam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Yes, I DO have pics to share and there are a TON of cute ones of your kids, my photographer was LOVING them cheesing it up for the camera! Unfortunately you'll have to go through about 1500 pics to find them, but they really are gems, you'll want to frame them. From Winkflash you can save or print them at full quality so they'll look great (its pretty cheap to print though Winkflash too!)
    I need your email address so I can add you as a "friend" then you'll be able to view them. Go to Winkflash.com and set up an account, and just let me know what email address you used and I'll add it to my list.
    As for the blog, it'll be another week or two but I'll send you the link as soon as its up!
    Love,
    Corrie
    p.s. so cute that Quinn pronounces it Corrie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok i used the email address helutz (at) gmail (dot) com. yay for cute baby pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, you're added! If you have any trouble viewing them, email me: Corrie.e.johnson@gmail.com
    Hope you like them!

    ReplyDelete